About Me

My photo
Life is full of things to share. My attempt at sharing my little piece of life.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Get back on the bike~Tough Girl

Today I got a Mountain Bike.  My biking experience includes:

~About 30 (give or take) hours on a road bike, still shocks me that they all want to pedal on the downhill...isn't coasting the best part of biking?
~Training for a triathlon on my nephew's bike where the chain fell off if you coasted at all,  until I received a hybrid as a birthday gift in the last month of training.
~Biking to class at College~it lasted about a month-I went to school in the Mountains-I was young, thin, and lazy.
~Most of my experience comes from hours spent on my banana seat bike riding past the boys I liked homes during middle school.

I'm a "tough girl"~love a challenge, adventure, pushing myself, getting dirty, doing things the boys do....I don't cry!

Mountain biking appeals to me! A chance to get out there with the mud and ride over sticks and mud holes and hang in the woods.  I've been sky diving, participated in one of those obstacle/mud runs, hiked the Grand Canyon, jumped off water falls, camped in extreme conditions, I like adventure!

 Single track is "the real deal" so I'm told. And off I go. Tired from a 5 mile morning run followed by mid day pizza and beer I was nothing but ready! Riding to the trails was a couple miles and my mountain bike instructor (his experience is a wee bit more than mine) starts jumping over curbs-on and off, off and on.....crap.....have I mentioned my fear of falling.  On the trails I love it~it's woodsy, adventurous, outdoorsy, challenging~all things I love.  Turn one sharp corner and here it comes. Full on body fall as I scramble to unclip shoe from pedal. Unclipping scares me on a road bike~and here I am-"real deal" and all. I crash, wipe out, slam hit the ground full force.  The tough girl in me jumps up to get back on the bike.....

Nature takes over at some point and all my girly responses begin to push their way forward.  Struggling to keep it together, hurting, exhausted and dare I say close to passing out...I weep!  Poor, poor mountain bike instructor!  I try, but waves of full on girl cry keep coming up~toughness is no where to be found.

Two choices are presented at this point.

 1. Walk the bike out of the woods-NOT a bad option, and...you didn't suggest it, your instructor did,...and you are "injured".

OR

2. Get back on the damn bike and KNOW you are the tough girl you claim to be.

I chose the second~and as I sit here bruised and icing....I'm thankful that I did!

We don't always succeed the first time we try something in life and fitness is no different.  If you've fallen....maybe it's time to get back on the bike.



2 comments:

Jason Horn said...

I like the socks, with a good pair of socks you can't go wrong!!!

Anj Wiley said...

I would have liked to see the picture of the "full on girl cry." Those are socks? I thought they were riding boots! You are fearless.