About Me

My photo
Life is full of things to share. My attempt at sharing my little piece of life.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Thirteen point one

Is it fear of failure or fear of success that keeps us from achieving our goals?

Two weekends ago I completed my second half marathon.  Infinitely less prepared physically than the first however moderately more prepared mentally, I set out with no specific goal other than to finish and enjoy my time on the course. It worked~2 minutes faster than previous race.

My mental game typically gets the better of me.  Read all about it here. Prior to most races I need counseling from my running partner or any number of good friends.  I try~really, really try to stay relaxed and not get all freakishly obsessed over EVERY aspect of racing....need examples? This is what I worry about-here you go:

-what I will wear
-the weather
-will I finish
-if I can't finish will they pull me off the course
-WORSE: will it close before I finish
-will my music be good enough
-am I drinking enough
-eating enough
-will I follow the course (laughable as that's really only a thought for the leaders-so you see how my thinking doesn't follow logic if I am worried both about not knowing the right turn-follow the people in front dummy, AND being the last on the course)
-rub rashes
-stomach issues
-starting line
-etc, etc, etc ~really the list can be long and I can certainly think up any number of things to worry about

This weekend I am scheduled to run another race...a half marathon with my dear girl friends I ran the first half with.  The 7 miles I put in yesterday sucked~truly a bad, bad run.  It hurt and my body feels terrible today-achey, swollen (weird), tired, blah. That alone can lend credence to a crazy girl! Surprisingly my mental game is in tact! I'm ready.

I attribute it to my stellar finish in the last half, right behind THE WINNER...of the Marathon. ~SMILE.



2 comments:

Anj Wiley said...

Wow! You really do need to get out of your head! I haven't thought about even one of these things. I have thought about the hills but that's it. Relax, you've already done 2; this isn't your first rodeo.

Tara18 said...

HILLS! Damn, another thing to worry about! KIDDING! This Cowgirl is ready for the rodeo!