About Me

My photo
Life is full of things to share. My attempt at sharing my little piece of life.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The thin line and why I walk it

When you line up for a 13.1 mile race at
6:00am
in
the dark
and
the rain
with temperatures at
48 degrees
and wind at
12-15 mph

Your entire being tends toward..."I'm not sure how committed to this I am."

It's only when you warm up at 2 miles and shed the trashbag you've worn to stay dry and warm that you begin to remember you enjoy running!

When I ran my first 13.1 mile race 5 years ago, I was a train wreck. Over training, running NON stop, trying to keep up with everyone and very unrelaxed. I had obsessively checked out the entire race. The course, the weather, the aid stations-everything. Needless to say-I crashed an burned. I was wound too tight.

Running the Myrtle Beach 1/2 marathon last weekend I had not looked at the course map, the start line, the packet pick-up, the weather-NOTHING. Truth be told-I registered for this race ONLY because my friends were racing. I wanted to be a part of things; share in the stories, the fun, the party. I entered the race, undertrained and coming off of an injury.

I had no expectations.

While I had no expectations, I ended the race discovering how much I've grown as a runner and how much I enjoy sharing running with friends, how much I love running.

A race is a journey, a discovery. 
Every run, every race, every time in our life will be different. Some better than others. What we learn from ourselves during training, running, racing-during life-is a journey worth taking.

Step outside, join the journey, share in the stories, the fun, the party. 

Photo courtesy of @anjwiley





No comments: